Monday, February 1, 2010

I'm gonna do it

Last year, we had such an abundance of apples on two trees in our backyard that I was stupified.

The hubs and I consulted on numerous occassions as to what kind of apples they were (since they weren't Granny Smith's or Red Delicious, we were stumped), and if they were ripe. Finally, we decided it was time to pick them. They were green and tart.

I invited a friend over for a massive pie/apple butter making session. We spent an entire day pounding out jars and pies of apple-y goodness.

And a couple weeks later, the apples we left on the tree turned red and sweet.

D'oh.

This year, though, I'm going to be prepared. I'm going to can those apples so that not one goes to waste. I'll make more apple butter, I'll make applesauce, and I'll make whatever else I can think of (although I'm not sure what else you can do with apples. Is there apple jam?).

But why stop there? We live practically next door to California's strawberry fields, and I'm forever buying jars of jam. There's a plum tree in my front yard, and I love plum preserves.

So this year, I'm going to be prepared. I'm going to can some stuff like the good Recession-Era wifey I am.

(Now, can someone please come over and show me how do it?)
Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. There is such a thing as apple jam, and I have never tried it...good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh yummy! Wish I could come share your adventures in baking! :)

    ReplyDelete